Korean + English = Konglish Baby

Before baby comes...
...learning Korean and researching Korean-language resources in order to raise baby as a bilingual.

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Korean Kids Songs: Eyes Eyes Eyes 눈 눈 눈

I know our kids song in English: Itsy Bitsy Spider, I'm a Little Teapot, Head and Shoulders Knees and Toes, Twinkle Twinkle Little Star.... pretty well.  But I don't know my kids songs in Korean too well.  So, I've been working on finding them, translating them and learning them. Husband doesn't know this yet, but I am hoping to record a DVD or CD with us singing a smattering of these songs to send to the foster parents who are caring for our child.  So, when he comes home, he will love these songs and recognize our voices!



I overheard my friend sing this song to her twin girls and I liked it because it's simple, it's repetitive, has fun motions, and teaches about how we use our body (parts) to worship God.  She said she sang this song as a kid. =)



The song is the first in this youtube video of a Korean church's children's worship session.  I had been helping with Children's Worship at our Chinese-American church for a while so it was interesting to see how a Korean church (in Korea) does it.  I do have some memories of singing worship songs in Korean at our Korean-American church growing up, but they have vastly faded. 



Here are the words in Korean:

성경 보고요
숨을 쉬고요
찬송 부르고
말씀 들어요
머리 머리 머리 예수님 생각
가슴 가슴 가슴 예수님 사랑
봉사 하소요
교회 가지요



Transliteration:



Noon noon noon; sung-gyung boh-goh-yo
Ko ko ko; soom-eul shi-goh-yo
Eeb eeb eeb; chan-song booh-re-goh
Gui gui gui; mahl-seum deul-uh-yo
Muhree muhree muhree; yeh-soo-neem seng-gahk
Gah-seum gah-seum gah-seum; yeh-soo-neem sah-rahng
Sohn sohn sohn; bohng-sah ha-soh-yo
Bal bal bal; gyo-heh gah-ji-yo



And the translation in English: (I tried to make the words fit the tune of the song so I took some liberty with the translation) 

Eyes, eyes, eyes; I can read the Bible
Nose, nose, nose; thank God for every breath
Mouth, mouth, mouth; sing praises to our God
Ear, ear, ear; listen to His Word
Head, head, head; think about His Love!
Heart, heart, heart; my Savior loves me so
Hand, hand, hand, serving God and others
Feet, feet, feet; takes us to our church

1 comment:

  1. Nice post.Music and translation is shown to be a fascinating area to explore, not only for specialized translators as well as for researchers in translation studies, cultural studies, media studies and musicology.I might say that having music translated on Korean translation or in any languages is far good to be one of the samples that beginners on translation to be practiced.

    ReplyDelete